June 17, 2026

Sixty-One Million

In 2024, more than 61 million euros disappeared from Caritas Luxembourg. The money was diverted over several months into accounts in Luxembourg and abroad. The scale of the theft, and the speed at which it was carried out, stunned a country where the foundation had been one of the most trusted names in social welfare for decades.[1]

Nearly two years later, the consequences are still unfolding. Several people have been arrested in recent months. The public prosecutor's office continues its investigation. Nathalie Frisch, a member of the foundation's executive committee and board of directors, has described the arrests as an important sign that the authorities are making progress. The developments, she said, also highlight the level of criminal organisation involved. This was not a lone actor. This was infrastructure.[2]

But Caritas as an operating entity is effectively finished. All operational activities remain suspended. The foundation's current work consists of addressing liabilities, repaying outstanding creditors, and bringing its previous activities to an orderly conclusion. Very few employees remain. Volunteers are doing what they can to manage the wind-down. The international network that Caritas Luxembourg built over decades, the relationships that connected Luxembourg's aid sector to humanitarian work around the world, is gone. Frisch described the loss as a major blow to the country's international aid capacity. Those connections can no longer be used to support development work abroad. They were destroyed along with the trust that sustained them.[3]

The foundation still hopes that at least some of the missing money can be recovered. The recent arrests have not yet had a direct financial impact on the foundation itself. The investigation is continuing. But 61 million euros, siphoned from an organisation that existed to help the most vulnerable, is not a figure that gets repaired by arrests alone. The money went somewhere. Finding it, proving where it went, and returning it are different tasks, and each is harder than the last.

What remains is the question of trust. Frisch said a significant amount of it had been destroyed. That is the kind of sentence that sounds measured until you sit with it. A charity that cannot be trusted with money cannot function. Donors will not give. Partners will not collaborate. Governments will not contract. The institutional architecture that made Caritas effective was built on the assumption that the money would go where it was supposed to go. That assumption is gone. Rebuilding it, if it can be rebuilt at all, will take far longer than the investigation.[4]

Sixty-one million euros. An organisation wound down. A network dismantled. Trust destroyed. The arrests continue. The money has not come back.

  1. Caritas Luxembourg fraud: over 61 million euros diverted, RTL Today, 2024-2026. ^
  2. Recent arrests in Caritas investigation, RTL Today, June 2026. ^
  3. Caritas operational activities suspended, volunteers managing wind-down, RTL Today, June 2026. ^
  4. Nathalie Frisch interview on trust and institutional damage, RTL Today, June 2026. ^
← All posts